The 2023 Italian Independent Winegrowers Fair “Mercato dei Vini dei Vignaioli Indipendenti” was back for its yearly three-day gathering for the first time in Bologna from November 25-27. This lively event brings together over 1000 small-scale Italian winegrowers to showcase their wines made from indigenous grapes that express the terroir of their unique regions.
Discover and Buy Our Alpine Wines and try Cuisine Pairings
At our family wine estate in Alto Adige (South Tyrol), we produce handcrafted individual wines that reflect our “Heart of the Alps” terroir. We presented them at the Italian Independent Winemakers’ Fair, Pad. 30 Corsia B Stand 48:
- 2022 Rosé Vernatsch – Strawberry and herb scented salmon-pink Schiava
- 2022 St. Magdalener Classico – Elegant red Schiava blend with violet notes
- 2022 Sauvignon – Pepper-kissed, tropical Blanc
- 2020 Nobilis St. Magdalener Classico – Intense red fruited Schiava with some Lagrein
- 2019 Grafenleiten Vigna Lagrein Riserva – Bold single vineyard Lagrein with cocoa and spice
You could directly buy bottles or cases! Our wines beautifully complement the rich meats and cheeses of northern Italy. We think as food pairings from the thirteen on-site food trucks those could be fine: Try the floral St. Magdalener Classico with Altamura’s Apulian sandwiches or our peppery Sauvignon Blanc with beef involtini from Puglia. For an intense match, the Lagrein Riserva excels with fried stuffed olives from the Marche region.
About the Fair and Who Attends
The Italian Independent Winegrowers Fair has been held annually for over 10 years as an initiative by the FIVI organization. FIVI, or the Italian Federation of Independent Winegrowers, is a non-profit that supports and advocates for the small, family-run wine estates who make wines from their own vineyards.
The Winegrowers who participated are committed to sustainable, ethical production and preserving the traditional winemaking methods and native grapes of Italy. Over 30 olive oil producers that follow similar principles did also have stands at the fair.
The festive atmosphere also included 13 Italian food trucks serving regional specialties to perfectly pair with the array of wines available.
Key Highlights of the 2023 Fair
- Over 1000 Italian wine producers pouring their wines made from Italian native grapes: indigenous Italian grape varieties not exported internationally.
- Purchasing of bottles and cases directly.
- 4 Masterclasses, on Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- 30 olive oil producers showcasing their regional, small-batch olive oils: Extra Vergine at its finest.
- Food trucks with Italian dishes and street food from regions around Italy: Pair regional wines with local foods. Pad. 36
- Wine education through talking directly with the winemakers about their approaches and wine stories: learn firsthand!
- traditional-friendly and open minded atmosphere celebrating Italian wine culture from the Alps to the Isles in the Mediterranean.
- Our Meetings / Get2gether 2023:
Marco Vitale – affinamentoinbottiglia.it – instagram: Nobilis 2020
Puntodinizio.it di Fabrizio Franci – facebook
Additional Details for Attending
- Dates: November 25-27, 2023
- Location: BolognaFiere Exhibition Center
- Hours: 11am to 7pm, with extended hours to 9pm on Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets: Available at the door or through the MercatoDeiVini website, 25-30 Euro per day, Multi-day passes offer a discount.
- Getting There: BolognaFiere is accessible by car, train, bus, and plane, with details on transportation options on the FIVI site.